inveil: round three, mofo.

Lather. Rinse. Repent.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I'll do anything for dairy.

T and I are sitting at the dinner table. He's made gnocci with a thousand cloves of garlic and sun-dried tomatoes.

'Listen', he says. 'You know that mental problem you have. I think I know what your deal is. You have all these loose ends...All these loose ends in your life and you don't know how to tie them up - you don't know how to deal with them' I glared at him, but only for a second because I know he's right.

Tonight I sat on hold for an hour with three different companies. Even though we use Earthlink, I was paying every month for AOL and NetZero. I signed us up for all of them, frantically, last year when I couldn't get the internet to work in our new apartment. The third company was some stupid credit check service. I signed up for the sixty free days and would up paying for it for nine months. I never used any of these things - 'You never even signed IN! the AOL lady told me - I just couldn't bring myself to pick up the phone to call and cancel. I would look up the numbers I needed and wind up shaking, confused, deciding instead to just go to bed at 8pm, to just avoid it all.

It seems so stupid, my inability to do these trivial, meaningless things until I've spent at least a good six months coaxing and bribing myself. 'Okay. If you go to the bank and fill out a change of address form, we can go to the grocery store and buy ourselves some ice cream! Oh, won't that be nice? No? Okay. Well. Let's just sit here and reorganize this desk drawer four times. That's fine. We'll go to the bank next week. Well. Maybe after our birthday. That's good.'

BUT: Today was different. Today I called all three companies that had been charging me for their unused, neglected services. I feel light and airy. I feel like a girl who's credit card isn't going to be pushed over-limit by the credit-report fees [OHtheirony] this month.

...feels pretty good.
Especially since I promised myself a freezer-full of ice cream.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's finished.

read

http://gtc.zubaz.net/

As for your friend T, his statement is beyond the "no shit sherlock" kind of obviousness. A magic 8 ball could have told you what he did.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel guilty for being excited about accomplishing a trivial thing. It is well documented that AOL is run by mafia psychologists that use every means withing their power to extract every drop of life force from any victim within their circle of influence. And I'm only 2% joking. Those people are capitolist evil incarnate. The worst thing is that they appear so innocent. Free 1000293300 minutes of AOL! Yeah, the little running guy is cute, but don't forget...the little bugger had sex with Sharon Stone.

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. Right now, my car is insured in two states.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, aol is the devil... even when you call them, you wind up signed up for 4 more "free" months... and i do that all the time too... i guess that's supposed to comfort you? *lol* it helps to know you're not the only crazy out there? orsomething...

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here