inveil: round three, mofo.

Lather. Rinse. Repent.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

The jaws devour; the jaws are devoured.

Last night on my way to pick Tony up from work, I saw another homeless man in front of the hospital. I mean, I assumed he was homeless - he was laying in the grass, all sprawled out at 8:45pm. I couldn't see his face, but somehow I knew he was an old man. As I was driving towards Tony's bookstore, the status of the horizontal old man started changing from homeless to possibly dead/dying. I asked everyone at Tony's work what they would do in my position and - universally, unanimously - they all told me that they would ignore the man and continue on their way.

So I called the state police, who gave me the number for non-emergency assistance. I called them and THEY connected me to emergency assistance, who hung up on me after I admitted that I didn't know the cross street of where my dead guy was. I was a little frustrated, but. Absolved of all guilt.

I drove back down the road with Tony a little later just to see if he was still there. Getting closer to the Mystery Cross Street, there was a firetruck, an ambulance and two sheriff's cars all with their lights on. It's a good thing you went ahead and called, Tony said. He actually needed help, Tony mused. Hey, why does he have handcuffs on? Tony asked, incredulous.

So. Good Samaritan that I am, I called the authorities because I thought the poor old man was dying, AND THEN THEY ARRESTED HIM AND HE WENT TO JAIL. What?

My life is ridiculous.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sully said...

Maybe I'm saying this just to make you feel better, but perhaps the man had an outstanding warrant out on him.

Although, maybe when the cops woke him, he grew violent and threw a punch at one of them. That's why they arrested him, for assaulting a police officer.

I mean, they wouldn't put handcuffs on him just because he was homeless. Unless they made homelessness illegal where you live.

I dunno. But at least they'll give him some food.

Actually, I don't know what I'm talking abouut.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew, I'm finally out of jail and back at the computer. I was just out and about Friday night and it was sooooo hot and humid that I layed down on the grass. I'm all sprawled out, just chillin, when I hear sirens. Next thing I know, jailtime.

I just found out today that some "good samaritan" was driving by and called the cops on me. What nerve! Can you believe it? Life is crazy.

Where's my pizza?

-Tangyape

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow.
i think i love you.

- jules

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here